Rist Without Peace

April 16, 2012 | | Comments Off on Rist Without Peace

Rist is a very forward thinking artist, with her ideas bordering on the edges of reality in the forms of videos, photographs, and the convergence of the two. Immediately I was attracted to the layout of Rist’s website. I was able to interact with it on multiple levels as I “searched” for her art. I loved the aspects of sound and video evolving as I journeyed. Each separate frame of her site included a different visual as well as a new sound, often times in a faint, singing voice. The uniqueness of Rist’s site definitely references her work as she works anywhere but inside a box.

Rist’s artwork is can be described in a number of ways, being labeled as feminist with her subject compromising of women. Rist manipulates both the image quality on the screen as well as the sound quality. Rist speeds up and slows down the sound to produce very high and low frequency pitches, giving added emotions to her characters such as the I’m Not The Girl Who Misses Much, who is obviously already distressed even before Rist really turns the screws. Although I wasn’t a huge fan of the work itself, Rist’s interviews and reasonings behind her work were very captivating and not too easy to grasp at first glance something that art of this approach represents.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind